These ten children’s picture books come together to make up my ‘Top 10 List’ of children’s picture books. This list is my own personal opinion, formed from years of reading children’s books to my two boys when they were younger, and yes, probably influenced by the books they enjoyed most. (Okay, except for Curious George – that one gained its appearance on this list from my own childhood memories and overall favorite books.)
There are many new wonderful books out there that deserve Top 10 listings also. Now, many years later, as Grandma Pat, I’ll be expanding my repartee to include newer publications.
But for now, here’s my list of ten favorite classics. A combination of plot, whimsy, captivating verse, the ability to capture and maintain young children’s attention and the accompanying illustrations are all integral parts of the mix. Other books, such as Where the Wild Things Are (which is magnificent), are typically featured as top picture book contenders, yet sometimes it just comes down to personal opinion.
- The Little Mouse, the Red Ripe Strawberry, and the Big Hungry Bear by Audrey & Don Wood.
- If you Give a Mouse a Cookie, by Laura Joffe Numeroff & Felicia Bond
- The Very Hungry Caterpillar, by Eric Carle
- Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs, by Judy & Ron Barrett
- Stone Soup, by Marcia Brown
- The Napping House, by Audrey & Don Wood
- Are you My Mother?, by P.D. Eastman
- Harold and the Purple Crayon, by Crockett Johnson
- Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, Very Bad Day, by Judith Viorst & Ray Cruz
- Curious George series, by H.A. Ray
What books are on YOUR Top 10 List?